Bird Hunting on Sauvie Island
Below is an excerpt from Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife’s 2013-2014 Oregon Game Bird Regulations. Follow link to PDF document (SI section begins at pg 35); www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/upland_bird/docs/ODFWbird09_10final.pdf
Located 10 mi north of Portland off Hwy 30. The area provides waterfowl and upland bird hunting. The WA includes Westside, Eastside, Oak Island and North units and the Columbia Rvr Beach area. Maps are available at check stations and the WA Headquarters (18330 NW Sauvie Island Rd). Willow Bar parking lot is located at the Multnomah-Columbia Co line on Reeder Rd. Portions of Sauvie Island WA are closed to all entry during waterfowl season except when in possession of a valid hunting permit from Oct. 1 – Apr. 30. Phone: 503-621-3488. In addition to general state and federal laws, the following regulations also apply to all ODFW lands on Sauvie Island, including Gilbert Rvr and Sturgeon Lk.
- The WA is closed from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. daily.
- All vehicles parking on the area are required to display a valid WA parking permit.
- Use of rifles and handguns is prohibited at all times.
- No person shall possess or use any shot other than federally-approved nontoxic shot at any time.
- Operation of boats in Sturgeon Lk Refuge is prohibited from Oct. 1- Apr. 15. Operating boats over 5 mi per hour is prohibited on all area lks. Sturgeon Lk Refuge is closed to all hunting year-round.
- The Columbia Rvr Drainage District Dike is closed to all hunting.
- Closed to hunting of furbearers, predators, unprotected and protected wildlife (except black-tailed deer, rabbit, crow, Eurasian collared-dove, and game birds).
- Youth Hunting: See page 22 for youth hunting opportunities.
- Fee Pheasant Hunt: Check in and out at Willow Bar and Eastside self-service check stations. See page 14 for details. From Sept. 16-29, all game bird hunters are required to have in possession a fee pheasant tag, HIP validation and an upland game bird stamp validation to hunt in the Eastside area. All bird hunting ends at 6 p.m. ODFW dated permits available at Willow Bar and Eastside self-service check stations only.
- Mourning and Eurasian Collared- Dove Hunting: Hunting is permitted during the statewide mourning dove season. Hunters must check in and out daily at self-service check stations located at the WA Headquarters, the Willow Bar parking lot off Reeder Rd, or the North Unit parking lot. No hunting is allowed in posted refuge areas including Sturgeon Lk and North Oak Island.
- Sept. Canada Goose Hunting: The WA, with exception of the Eastside Units during youth pheasant hunt and North Oak Island Refuge, and Sturgeon Lk Refuge, is open during Sept. Canada goose season (page 16 for details). Hunters must check in and out daily at self-service check stations located at the WA Headquarters, the Willow Bar parking lot off Reeder Rd and North Unit parking lot. The area is closed to all other goose hunting.
- NW Permit Zone Goose Hunt: For the Eastside, Oak Island and Westside Hunt Areas, white goose shooting dates are listed under Shooting Days/Open Season for the NW Permit Zone (page 18). Only white geese (Snow and Ross) may be taken and hunters must follow all special regulations for the NW Permit Zone (pages 18 – 19). The taking of any Canada, cackling or white-fronted goose is prohibited. The season on the WA will close if one dusky Canada goose is taken. All other WA hunt areas are closed to goose hunting during the NW Permit Zone season.
Duck, Pheasant, Snipe, Quail and Crow Hunting
Specific regulations are as follows:
- Pheasant: In the Eastside, Oak Island and Westside Hunt Areas, pheasant hunting is closed Oct. 5 – 11. For the period of Oct. 12 – Dec. 31, shooting dates are listed under waterfowl reservation hunts (pages 38 – 41). Pheasant hunters in these hunt areas must check in and out at the Eastside/Oak Island check station or the Westside check station on specified hunt days. The North Unit is open to pheasant hunting everyday of the authorized season.
- Quail: For the period of Sept. 1-30, hunters must follow the procedures as described in the dove hunting section. During the Fee Pheasant Hunt, hunters must follow that season’s procedures. Quail hunting is closed from Oct. 1 until the opening of General Waterfowl Season in the Westside Units and in the Eastside Units from the end of the Western Oregon Fee Pheasant Hunt until the opening of General Waterfowl Season. For the period of Oct. 12 – Jan. 26, 2014 shooting dates are listed under waterfowl reservation hunts (pages 38- 41). Persons wishing to hunt quail must check in and out at the Eastside/Oak Island check station or the Westside check station on specific hunt days.
- Rabbit: For the period of Sept. 1 – Jan. 31, 2014, rabbit hunting is allowed in the North Unit. Check in and out at the North Unit parking lot is encouraged.
- North Unit and Columbia Rvr Beaches: These areas are open to hunting every day of the authorized seasons for dove, snipe, pheasant, quail, duck, coot, rabbit (North Unit only) and Sept. Canada Goose (pages 14 and 16). Voluntary check in and out at the North Unit parking lot is encouraged. ?
- Eastside and Oak Island Permit Hunt Areas: A daily hunting permit is required in these areas. Reservations are available through a drawing (see pages 38-41). A reservation permit must be exchanged for a daily hunting permit at the Eastside/Oak Island check station. Unfilled reservations are available to hunters without reservations on a first-come, firstserved basis at the check station. Separate vehicle lines are designated for reservation and nonreservation hunters. The Eastside/ Oak Island check station is located at the intersection of Reeder and Rentenaar rds. See Reservation Application Procedures on page 37. Reminder: Successful applicants must purchase their reservation permit before arriving at the WA. Reservation hunters must be in line 36 Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife 1-1/2 hours prior to shooting time. License documents are not available at the check stations. Note: In the Oak Island Unit, water is not available until Columbia Rvr levels at Vancouver reach 15 feet.
- Westside Permit Hunt Area: Hunting permits are required and will be issued on a random basis to provide increased hunter opportunities. Hunters wishing to participate in the drawing for permit selection must be in line 1-1/2 hours before shooting time (page 13). Hunters should listen to AM Radio Station 1580 for results of the random drawing. The Westside check station is located at the north end of Sauvie Island Rd.
General Rules for Eastside, Westside and Oak Island Areas:
- A daily valid unit hunting permit is required.
- Shooting hours in these areas end at 4 p.m. All hunters must check out by 6 p.m.
- Check stations open 1-1/2 hours before shooting time on hunt days. Reservation hunters must be in line at least 1-1/2 hours before shooting time.
- Hunters in check station lines must check through in the vehicles in which they arrive.
- All waterfowl hunting in units with designated shooting locations will be from the assigned blinds/sites, unless otherwise authorized. No more than four persons (one reservation hunter may bring up to three guest hunters) will be allowed at designated shooting sites in Mud Lk, Steelman, Holman Point, Mudhen, Racetrack, Hunt, Reeder Tract, Oak Island, Seal and Johnson units. In a non-designated shooting site (roam unit), only one non-hunting person may accompany a permit holder, unless otherwise authorized.
- Duck, coot, crow and snipe shooting dates during authorized seasons for Eastside, Oak Island and Westside areas are listed under waterfowl reservation hunts on pages 38-41. Please note youth hunt days. White goose shooting days are listed under the NW Permit Zone on page 18.
Additional Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife links:
Visitors Guide to Sauvie Island Wildlife Area: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/visitors/sauvie_island_wildlife_area.asp