The popular and familiar Bybee-Howell House, located at 13901 NW Howell Park Road, is a highly crafted and rare example of the Classical Revival style from the mid-19th Century. The handsome two-story frame residence was built for James Bybee, who later became one of Multnomah County’s first Commissioners. Bybee sold the house in 1858 to Dr. Benjamin Howell and his wife, Elizabeth. The house remained in the Howell family until 1961.
The façade of the structure is formally arranged, with symmetrically placed chimneys, double-hung sash windows with six-over-six lights, and fully pedimented gable ends. The house, located on Howell Recreation Park, is unfortunately not open for tours at this time.
Howell Territorial Park is managed by Portland Metro and welcomes visitors from sunrise to sunset.
Portland-Metro maintains this 120-acre park where the region’s natural and cultural history come together in one serene pastoral setting. Travel less than one mile off the bridge straight down Sauvie Island Road where the long driveway leading up the the Bybee Howell House is on the right.
- Reservable picnic area
- Howell Territorial Park has one picnic area available for reservation year-round. Reservations are required for parties of 25 or more.
- To make a reservation call 503-665-4995 or e-mail to email@example.com
- located between the Bybee House and the barn
- area accommodates up to 250 people, includes use of 14 picnic tables seating up to 120
- rental fee – $450
- For more information, view Metro web page.