Frequently-asked and good-to-know information
How do you pronounce Sauvie?
Saw-vee or So-vee; both pronunciations are used by island residents.
Do I need a parking permit?
Parking permits are required on Sauvie Island to park in all wildlife areas on the island.
Where can I buy a parking permit and what is the cost?
Daily permits: $7.00; annual permits: $22.00. Permits can be purchased at:
- Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife – 18330 N. W. Sauvie Island Road – 503.621.3488
- The Cracker Barrel Store – 15005 N. W. Sauvie Island Road
- Reeder Beach RV Country Store – 26048 N. W. Reeder Road
- 7-11 Convenience Store – 14491 N. W. St. Helens Road (off Island)
Is there a gas station on the island?
No. There are gas stations in Linnton (2 mi south of bridge) and in Scappoose (9 mi north).
Are there public restrooms on the island?
Restrooms are extremely limited. Most of these are porta-potties, but they are cleaned frequently. For Google map, click here.
* indicates they are in areas on the wildlife area that are closed to the general public from October 1 to April 30.
+ designates handicapped accessible.
- Sauvie Island Bridge parking lot
- + Howell Territorial Park
- + Multnomah Channel Boat Ramp, NW Ferry Road
- Hadley’s Landing in Wapato State Greenway (accessible only by boat or to hikers)
- Parking area for Coon Point on Reeder Road
- Reeder Tract parking lot, where Dairy Creek crosses underneath Reeder Road.
- Parking area for Willow Bar, off Reeder Road
- ODFW’s East Side Check Station at the intersection of Reeder and Rentenaur.
- + Wildlife viewing platform on Reeder Road before you get to Rentenaar Road.
- Grandma’s Kitchen parking lot at the west end of Rentenaaer Road
- Several along the parking areas for the Columbia River beaches
- Gilbert River Boat Ramp (off Reeder Road)
- Trailhead to Warrior Point (End of Reeder Road)
- *Haldeman Pond on Oak Island
- + Oak Island trailhead
- + Steelman Lake parking area (Just after Sauvie Island Road turns to an unpaved road)
- *+ Big Eddy handicapped fishing platform (off the unpaved portion of Sauvie Island Road.)
- * One each of two dog-training areas on the unpaved portion of Sauvie Island Road.
The larger farm stands (Pumpkin Patch and Kruger’s) have bathroom facilities open to customers only.
Are dogs welcomed on the island?
Most walking areas, Wapato State Greenway, public beaches and farm stands allow dogs but require pets be on leash. Howell Territorial Park does not permit pets due to maintenance upkeep, wildlife safety and organic gardens in close proximity to its boundaries.
Do you have a calendar of seasonal produce availability?
The best calendar we have found is on the Tricounty Farm Fresh website. It is very user friendly and lists farms that may have the produce you are looking for.
Is there a store or other places to get something to eat or drink on the island?
Yes; however, food options are limited. Visitors often pack snacks. There are no public drinking water sites. Food can be obtained at:
Reeder Beach RV Park and Country Store – groceries, snacks, made to order deli sandwiches, hot biscuits & gravy, kielbasa dogs, ice, fishing tackle, bait, etc.
Cracker Barrel Convenience store – ice cream, egg rolls, fried chicken, corn dogs, etc. Located at foot of bridge on Sauvie Island Rd.
Island Cove Café – deli; breakfast for hunters 9-11 daily. Summer hours 9-6.
Are the beaches and lakes open year-round?
Public beaches are open all year. Lakes are open April 16 through September 30; they close in winter time corresponding with hunting season.
Is camping allowed; are there camping sites?
No camping is allowed on the island or beaches; there are two RV parks.
Are bonfires allowed on beaches?
Open fires are not allowed on beaches. Fire threat level is posted on Bridge.
When are wildlife areas open?
April 16 through September 30 each year. Many wildlife areas are closed during hunting season, October to April. Contact Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife at 18330 N. W. Sauvie Island Road, 503-621-3488, for information. Remember you will need a parking permit to access Wildlife areas.
Can wedding receptions be held on Sauvie Island?
Yes; however, in permitted, designated areas only.
The grounds of Howell Territorial Park can be rented through Metro Parks and Greenspaces.
Phone: 503-797-1850, option 2. Web: https://www.oregonmetro.gov/parks/howell-territorial-park
The Sauvie Island Grange Hall, located at 14443 Charlton Road, is available for weddings, family reunions, etc. Go to their website for more information.
Is the Bybee Howell House open to the public?
It is closed until further notice. However the grounds on which it sets, Howell Territorial Park, is open.
Is there an island road map?
- Sauvie Island Road travels from the foot of the bridge north along the Multnomah Channel and dead-ends at the north end in Columbia County.
Reeder Road intersects with Sauvie Island Rd and travels east toward most of the public beaches. Gillihan Road intersects with Reeder Road in the Northeast corner and loops back toward the bridge. Oak Island Rd intersects with Reeder Road and dead-ends at Sturgeon Lake.
- Sauvie Island, Reeder and Gillihan roads form a 12.6-mile loop.
- For ODFW Sauvie Island Map click here